Thursday, November 12, 2009

New Friends

It has been another successful library book sale this year. I got there good and early this morning, and it paid off. Here are the new friends for my bookshelf (in preferential order):

  1. Studying the Synoptic Gospels (E. P. Sanders and Margaret Davies)
    I'm excited for this one because I'm planning on taking Wes Olmstead's Seminary
    Gospel Seminar in May. I recently picked up a copy of Aland's Synopsis of the Four Gospels (Greek-English edition). Sanders should be a good guide.
  2. NICNT: The Book of the Acts (F. F. Bruce)
    I really like F. F. Bruce. I've been collecting his commentaries.
  3. Jewish Literature between the Bible and the Mishnah (George W. E. Nickelsburg)
    I don't know much about this stuff, but Nickelsburg sure does. So I figure this book is a good starting point.
  4. What the Best College Teachers Do (Ken Bain)
    This one was assigned during my college internship, but because of the heavy courseload I took on that year, I didn't get to read it very carefully. More of a panicked skim. It's a great resource, and now I can read it properly.
  5. The Gospel According to St. John (B. F. Westcott)
    All I know about Westcott is that he's a textual critic from a couple of scholastic generations ago. I haven't picked up any commentaries on John thus far, so, for a dollar, I figured I'd give him a try.
  6. Comparative Philology and the Text of the Old Testament (James Barr)
    This looks to be an interesting Hebrew resource. I've been reading Alan Black's Linguistics for Students of New Testament Greek, and thought Barr's book might help round out some Hebrew reading.
  7. Biblical Hebrew Step by Step: readings from the Book of Genesis (M. Mansoor)
    Hebrew still feels like a lot of work. I'm hoping this book will help to motivate me to get reading.

Good harvest. All for $15! Needless to say, I have my work cut out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment