Monday, May 24, 2010

The Importance of Syllabi

I'm in the last week of preparation before my first Seminary class begins, and I just realized that I have become far too prepared... Part of the requirements of the upcoming class on the Gospels is to lead an hour-long seminar on one of the various topics given in the syllabus. Over the past several days, I dug (hundreds of pages) deep into all sorts of secondary sources to get to know my topic (reader-response criticism) very well, only to find out that the one most important source I should have read was: my syllabus.

If I had started there, I would have learned that the seminar is to be based mostly on the three articles for the seminar topic in the required reading. It's not exactly an 'open-ended' assignment. So, I guess this will be much easier to prepare for than I anticipated... At any rate, I guess I'll be (overly) prepared if people have questions outside of what the syllabus requires!

No comments:

Post a Comment